Kettlebells are a great way to develop strength, power, cardiovascular endurance and a host of other amazing benefits. The top five reasons kettlebells are awesome are as follows:
1. Cardio is boring. Let’s just be honest. Some people find it therapeutic and that’s totally fine, more power to those folks. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather go for a run outside than on a treadmill, but if I can get some cardio in while strength training, I’d rather do that.
2. Functional strength. We hear that a lot, but what does that really mean? It means, in short, that it requires more mobility and coordination to perform the movement. Basically, it’s something that will make you a “more functional” human being. It will help keep you off of a walker, play with your grand kids, keep being able to mow the lawn and be self-sufficient into older ages.
3. Kettlebell swings are safe for everyone, and they tend to be easier on the body. There’s a lot of use for things like box jumps and heavy squats, sometimes (depending on the client) these movements can cause a lot of stress in the joints and on the body. Kettlebells can give you great strength gains, as well as help with mobility, without as much stress as other movements may cause some people.
4. Combines cardio and strength training. As mentioned above, if someone can get their heart rate up while also developing muscle mass, it’s killing two birds with one stone. Get more done in less time.
5. Great for fat loss. There’s a high metabolic cost of tossing the weight around and it is also great strength training to develop muscle. Muscle requires more energy to maintain, meaning more fat loss. It’s a whole-body movement that kicks the hormones in your body into action to stimulate more fat burning.
These are just 5 great reasons to kettlebell train. I’m not saying that we’re not going to be doing anything other than kettlebells from here on out, it’s just going to be a lot dryer in the meantime. Plus, it’s a great opportunity to learn more kettlebell movements to expand our fitness options!
It’s going to be a challenging week. We’ve got some great workouts planned, so be ready to get enough rest and recovery along with feeding our bodies some good food! Let’s Get Fit!
4x12 Bent Rev. Fly
4 RNDs NFT:
15 Wall Balls
ME Elbow Plank
10 Chin Ups